Since we spent a few weeks in Buffalo/Rochester, NY this summer we got to have all our favorite regional foods. One of the items from the Buffalo area is Beef on Weck, which is short for Beef on a Kimmelweck Roll. A Kimmelweck Roll is a hearty roll topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds. It give the roll a salty/savory flavor. These are available in the Rochester/Buffalo region in just about every bakery section. Top your thinly sliced steak with the mayo-horseradish sauce and some au jus (if you wish).
Verdict: I love these sandwiches. Our steak was medium-rare but cook it to your liking. Same with the mayonnaise and horseradish blend. Adjust the amount of horseradish in your sauce to your liking. My family tends to be a bit heavier on the horseradish but taste and adjust as you go.
Beef on Weck
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 lbs. of steak, cooked to your desired doneness and in your favorite cooking method
- 6 Kimmelweck rolls (there are lots of recipes for these rolls if you want to give one a try)
- 2/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- While the steak is cooking mix the mayonnasie and horseradish to your desired taste and refrigerate until ready to use. Once steak is cooked and rested slice steak into thin strips.
- Cut the rolls horizontally. Spread the horseradish mayonnaise over the cut sides of the roll.
- Pile the steak on top of the bottom roll and place top on sandwich.
- Serve with a side of au jus dipping sauce from pan if desired.
5 Comments Add yours
Beef on Weck On Wednesday, September 22, 2021, What’s for Dinner Moms? wrote:
> koolaidmoms posted: ” Since we spent a few weeks in Buffalo/Rochester, NY > this summer we got to have all our favorite regional foods. One of the > items from the Buffalo area is Beef on Weck, which is short for Beef on a > Kimmelweck Roll. A Kimmelweck Roll is a hearty roll t” >
You reminded me that I so want to go back to Buffalo to see the area and our friends again.
LikeLiked by 1 person
It is fun to go back and visit. I must the area so much.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Oh, yes, I couldn’t agree more. The last time I was “home” was 7 years ago. I miss it a lot. It still was the best time in life.