We are looking for simple dinners that we can pull together in about 15 minutes and have very few ingredients. It is amazing to us how small our grocery bills are now. We can’t even finish a whole loaf of bread before it goes bad. Before we were going through at least 2 loaves a week. A gallon of milk spoils. I hate waste in food so we are working to eliminate it.
This is a kid dinner for my wife. Use the softest white bread you can find. No fancy sourdough or Farmer’s bread for this sandwich. We bought thick sliced roast beef from the deli, a thinly sliced onion, and a package of gravy mix. You can add mashed potatoes to make it the full diner experience if you wish.
Verdict: This reminded us of the old family diner dinner. Lots of gravy soaking into the bread and some thinly sliced onion to ramp up the flavor. Using thick sliced deli roast beef gave this great flavor without all the cooking. Have leftover roast beef or gravy sub them in and make it your own!
Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and a green leafy salad if desired.
Diner Dinner: Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
- 1 lb. roast beef, deli
- 6-8 slices of white bread
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 packets of gravy mix plus ingredients for making gravy
- Place one slice of bread on a plate. You will make about 3-4 sandwiches so place one slice of bread on 3-4 different plates for serving.
- Lay thinly sliced onions on slice of bread, if desired.
- Cook gravy according to packet directions. Once gravy has started to thicken add the roast beef to the gravy mix and stir until roast beef is warmed.
- Divide the meat slices over the four slices of bread with onions. Top with remaining slices of bread to form a sandwich. Cover with gravy from pan.
- Serve hot with mashed potatoes if desired.