We are constantly looking for hearty snack foods to serve during football games and parties for the kids. I love these sliders because they are simple to make, taste great, and are filling. They can be served as a main dish during your party or right on the buffet line.
I love these little sandwiches because they can be made in so many ways. We have had Breakfast Sliders (click for link to recipe), Pizza Sliders (click for link to recipe), Hot Ham & Cheese Sliders (click for link to recipe), Buffalo Chicken Sliders (click for link to recipe) and one of my most popular recipes of all time the Reuben Style Hawaiian Sliders (click for link to recipe). They are great for parties, groups of teens, and fun finger food dinners.
I took a page from my Garlic Butter Italian Sausage Sandwiches (click for link to original recipe) and made these more like a garlic bread Parmigiana. You can use the Hawaiian rolls for these but we prefer the plain dinner rolls (already baked) that come in the same 12 roll package. My family prefers to not have the sweet taste with the garlic butter but it is up to you.
I served these with a hearty salad with Italian dressing to complete the Italian theme.
- 1 (12 roll) package of dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls
- 1 (32 oz) bag of chicken strips
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons + parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with non-stick spray or coat the bottom with butter.
- Slice rolls horizontally so you have a sheet of tops and bottoms for the rolls. Place the bottoms of the rolls in the baking dish.
- Place the chicken strips on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. You want them fairly crispy but not quite done all the way because you will be baking them again.
- While the chicken is cooking in a small bowl cream together the 1/2 cup of butter, the minced garlic, basil, and parsley until well blended. Set aside until chicken is done.
- Once chicken has cooked remove from oven and reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread garlic butter over the tops of the bottom half of the rolls. Bake in oven about 4-5 minutes until rolls are browned.
- Remove bottom rolls from the oven. Place cooked chicken over the rolls laying strips to completely cover the bottoms of the rolls as well as possible. Spread pasta sauce over the chicken strips and then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place tops on rolls. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until tops of rolls are browned and cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.