For Christmas this year we got a Ninja Air Fryer XL from my mother and father. I debated about wanting an air fryer or an insta-pot. I finally decided that I think the air fryer would suit us better as I already love my slow cooker and think this would complement it better than an insta-pot. We love the crispy texture of fried food but hate all the oil of deep fried food. For our first try using the air fryer we decided we had to cook our favorite deep fried dish – chicken wings!
I wish I had one of these sooner. Though it took more time than deep frying the texture was far closer to deep fried than regular baking. I know that the air fryer is really a small convection oven but the texture was great. We cooked these from frozen with no oil and we loved them (5 lbs. worth!).
I cannot wait to see what else we can make with our air fryer. Do you have an air fryer?
- 5 lbs. chicken wings
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Hot Sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste
(Check your air fryer for how to best cook your wings. These were made with a Ninja Air Fryer XL)
- Preheat cooker to 390 for 3 minutes.
- Place wings in a single layer on crisper tray. We fit about 5-6 wings per cooking cycle.
- Cook wings for 25-30 minutes turning every 5-7 minutes to get a good even crisp. Remove chicken wings as soon as they reach 165 internal temperature (be careful not to hit bone). Check the pan 1/2 way through the cooking time. If liquid has accumulated in the bottom carefully remove wings and remove the liquid or you will cause the wings to steam and not crisp.
- While wings are cooking mix melted butter, hot sauce, garlic powder and Cayenne pepper, if desired, to taste. Once wings are cooked place in sauce and remove once fully coated. Serve hot.