Day 6 in Coronavirus semi-lock down. Today is the first day of Spring. It is actually supposed to be almost 50 degrees here today which is unusual. It usually snows on the first day of Spring. I bet my crocuses are blooming. I haven’t seen them yet. I did get to go out in the sunshine the other day but so far it has been mostly overcast which does not help the doom and gloom of being inside all the time. I HIGHLY suggest if you can get the chance take a chair and go sit outside on your porch or patio in the sunshine. It really helps improve your mood and outlook on life. I need a bit more today but hoping that tomorrow might bring sunshine.
It is nice having a bit more time for dinners and having my family around to help. They truly have been a great help. We are getting creative and going back to remake some of our favorite meals. This Balsamic Italian Chicken (click for link to original recipe). My son made this dinner the other night. It can be made in a sheet pan and I highly recommend par boiling the potatoes, putting them in a microwave to cook a bit first, OR cutting them small so that the rest of the food cooks at the same time. That is one tip to get this to come out perfectly. I originally didn’t cook the potatoes with this dish but found we prefer it that way so the recipe has been updated to reflect this.
This looks a bit sloppy on the plate but it tastes like a restaurant meal. It is super simple to make (the hardest part is cutting up the potatoes and onions) and has tons of great flavor. Again, cut the potatoes small or par cook them to get the easiest way to have everything done at once.
Serve this with a nice green salad and you have a complete meal.
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cut into small pieces (par boil or microwave if desired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, to garnish
Directions: (these instructions are for potatoes cooked until slightly fork tender before placing in sheet pan)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with oregano, basil, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Rub seasoning all over each chicken piece. Arrange the tomatoes potatoes, and red onion around the chicken in the dish.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, sugar and remaining garlic. Pour over the chicken breasts and vegetables, flip each breast in the sauce to evenly coat.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes for chicken strips (depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts), or until no longer pink in the middle. Sprinkle with cheese and broil for 4-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish with basil, and serve with pan drippings over the top.