This dish has been at the top of my most popular recipes for over a year now. I recently remade the recipe. I love going back and revisiting dishes from the past. My family likes the sauerkraut and apple mixture the sweet/tart tang. You can even add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the finished dish if you wish to make it even a bit more tart.
Secret Confession – I served this in bowls because ALL of our dishes were dirty. They were all in the dishwasher and all I had left to serve dinner in was bowls. We all make due with what we have on hand!
Verdict: This dish doesn’t have a heavy sauerkraut taste so if you don’t like sauerkraut this has a sweet/tart taste to it. I don’t rinse the sauerkraut but I know some do. We like the taste so if you are inclined give it a try.
I serve this with a side of carrots and a green side salad.
recipe title=”Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples” servings=”6-8″ time=”5 minutes prep. 5-6 hours on low ” difficulty=”easy”]
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs pork chops thick cut (bone in or boneless)
- 1 (32 oz) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- black pepper
- 1-2 large apples, cored and rough chopped
- mashed potatoes or pasta for serving, if desired
- Mix together sauerkraut, brown sugar, chicken stock, black pepper, and apples in a large bowl. Place 1/2 of the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place pork chops on top of sauerkraut mixture. Cover chops with rest of sauerkraut.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Stir once or twice during cooking if possible.
- Serve hot on top of pasta or mashed potatoes.